- death toll
- nounthe number of deaths resulting from some particular cause such as an accident or a battle or a natural disaster
* * *death toll nounA list of the dead, eg after an accident or a natural disaster• • •Main Entry: ↑death
* * *death toll UK US noun [countable]the number of people who are killed on a particular occasionThesaurus: death and general words relating to deathsynonym
* * *n. the number of deaths resulting from a particular cause, esp. an accident, battle, or natural disaster
* * *noun, pl ⋯ tolls [count]— usually singular
Three people who were injured in the accident have died, pushing the death toll up to 116.
The virus's death toll is expected to rise.
* * *ˈdeath toll [death toll death tolls] nounthe number of people killed in an accident, a war, a disaster, etc
The death toll has now risen to 200.
Useful english dictionary. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Death Toll — Theatrical poster Directed by Phenomenon Produced by DMX Dan Garcia … Wikipedia
death toll — n [C usually singular] the total number of people who die in an accident, war etc ▪ As the unrest continued, the death toll rose . ▪ The official death toll stands at 53 … Dictionary of contemporary English
death toll — death tolls also death toll N COUNT The death toll of an accident, disaster, or war is the number of people who die in it … English dictionary
death toll — death ,toll noun count the number of people who are killed on a particular occasion … Usage of the words and phrases in modern English
death toll — ► NOUN ▪ the number of deaths resulting from a particular cause … English terms dictionary
death toll — noun The number of dead as a result of a war, natural disaster or other incident. Greenpeace report says Chernobyl death toll has been underestimated (, April 18, 2006) … Wiktionary
death-toll — see death toll … English dictionary
death toll — noun (C) the total number of people who die in a particular accident, war etc: As the civil unrest continued, the death toll rose … Longman dictionary of contemporary English
death toll — total loss of life, number of persons killed (in a battle, natural disaster, etc.) … English contemporary dictionary
death toll — noun the number of deaths resulting from a particular cause … English new terms dictionary